Mel's Heart

My thoughts about God, living for Him, being a writer, wife, mom, and child of God

Friday, February 17, 2006

Friday Night and God's Word

Tonight all the Chitwoods will be home! Yahoo! All of us love to be home together, hanging out, watching our taped shows - Survivor and (and Dancing with the Stars if I can sneak that in on the boys), watch basketball, order Dominoes and eat chocolate chip cookies. We haven't done this in a long time(well, except the cookie part) I'm so happy that we all like nights like this.

This morning's verses have really given me pause today.
Matthew 10:34 Do not think that I come to bring peace on the earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.

Then I remembered
Ephesian 6:12 that the word of God is called the Sword of the Spirit.

Hebrews 4:12 the sword of God's word is sharper than a two-edged sword.
and another connection
John 1:1 Jesus is called The Word.

The first verse in Matthew made me think about how powerful and strong Jesus is. Yes, He's love, but He's TRUTH. I love how absolutely uncompromising Jesus is in this verse. It also makes me think of God in the Old Testament where God is I AM.

One of the gifts God has given us is His written Word. By reading Scripture, meditating, and applying its truth we have everything we need for living.

There was definitely a time in my life when I didn't believe that about Scripture-that I could find the guidelines for living right there in the Bible and that this was all I needed.

My belief system in the past was a hybrid of my own thoughts, Satan's lies, self-help books, cultural influences, humanistic education with a little pinch of God's word thrown in for good measure.

It worked fairly well but then I had some experiences that God used to sift out the false beliefs. Now I am learning step by step how to live by His Word. I'm glad about that. And I really think this will be a lifelong process.

It's been a fun week of getting out of the house and seeing friends and shopping a little. Last week with the kids sick I think I left the house for about an hour on tuesday and then friday to pick up scott from the hospital. that made for quite a long week.

I'm supposed to get the galley of my book any day. fun! happy wkend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home