Mel's Heart

My thoughts about God, living for Him, being a writer, wife, mom, and child of God

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Wrapped in Rain

Wrapped in Rain is the title of one of the best books I've ever read. It's by Charles Martin, published by WestBow, a division of Thomas Nelson, featuring unique Christian fiction.

I want to tell others about this book because I haven't felt so strongly about a book in a long, long time! The other night I actually cried while reading it. Now I'm not a big cry-er, and certainly not about a book, so that should give you an idea of its impact.

In a nutshell Wrapped in Rain is the story of two brothers haunted by an alcoholic, abusive father, but rescued by the love of Miss Ella, their black maid/nanny.


The most notable aspect of this book is that it's Christian fiction of the highest quality. I read a plethora of Christian and nonChristian ficiton. Unfortunately, I think much Christian fiction is simplistic, corny, trite, and frankly, not worth reading. This book is none of these. It's rich, honest, and filled with complex characters. It's sweet and tender without being sentimental or predictable. It's just beautiful. Thanks, Mom, for giving it to me!

Charles Martin also wrote The Dead Don't Dance. Has anyone read that?

1 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger melanie said...

Thanks for your comments! It's rewarding to find a reader out there. If you go to my profile you can e-mail me - let me know if you have a blog, or recommend some christian fiction to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home