Mel's Heart

My thoughts about God, living for Him, being a writer, wife, mom, and child of God

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Taking care of me in Memphis




I came to Memphis Friday to see my twin sister Natalie and her partner and my friend Donna. This is like a bed and breakfast to me. Natalie and Donna just take care of me and that is a great feeling. To come here by myself and on a weekend when the kids, Matthew and Christi are not here, is just a time to be free of responsiblities and it feels great! These pictures are of my precious nephew Matthew and his cute puppy, Sister.

I came mainly to be rolfed by Donna. I know that's a weird word so let me explain rolfing. Rolfing is body work, kinda like really deep massage that's painful. Really, it's nothing like massage but for most people that's a point of reference. We each have connective tissue in our bodies called fascia. Manipulating the fascia changes the whole alignment of your body, and basically for me can really alleviate the pain in my foot from plantar fasciitis (sp?) which I've had for over ten years. I already feel better! Donna has worked hard!

About the title of this blog. I think for me in some ways it's easy to take care of myself, but only to a certain point. To spend a whole weekend just taking care of me seems like an indulgence and a luxury. And it is! But I know as I grow older that God wants us to have balance in our lives.

I think for Christians, especially Christian women, it's way too easy to feel guilt and selfish when we take care of ourselves. But I think that's a lie straight from Satan. I know that I am better at being a wife, mother, friend and child of God when I take care of myself spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Sometimes that means having a long quiet time of reading God's word and praying. Sometimes it means eating healthy and exercise. Sometimes it means hanging with my family. And other times what I need is an entire weekend away. I would love to know what other readers think about this taking care of yourself thing.

It seems I keep returning to Ecclesiastes 3... a time to tear and a time to mend...a time to heal. Seasons for everything.

Last night Lisa came over and we ate lots of Mexican food, laughed a lot, and played speed Scrabble. How fun!

I am so thankful for the gift of rolfing, for the love of Natalie and Donna, for Donna's healing hands and the gift she's been given by God, for my sweet husband who's holding down the fort while I'm away.

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home