Mel's Heart

My thoughts about God, living for Him, being a writer, wife, mom, and child of God

Monday, January 16, 2006


Lessons from Emma

How can such a little puppy have created such disruption in my life?! But she did. We got Emma in October, right in the middle of writing my book. And boy she rattled me! I thought she was the cutest thing, but I really was not prepared for all the care she would require - despite the warnings, esp. from Amy.


She peed and pooped every where, had to be taken outside about every hour, slept in her crate but cried and pooped in there, chewed on everything, and on and on. You get the picture. One day after a very interrupted night of sleep (Emma cried a lot at night), I came undone! I called Scott and told him he needed to come home from his job and take care of this darn puppy! I was delirious. (To those of you getting up in the middle of the night with babies, God bless you.)

What the lesson boiled down to was I was giving up a lot for my husband to have this puppy! And I just wasn't happy about the sacrifices. I had agreed to the puppy because I knew it would make Scott happy, I wanted to make him happy, but I wanted me to be happy too! God used this situation to show me how much of life revolved around me and my comfort and my desires.

So the lessons continue. This purebred yellow lab who we paid an arm and leg for, now has a serious limp and will probably need surgery. I love Emma now, and of course, we'll get the surgery done but I can't help but think God sure is funny!

As for the other dog in the picture. That's our perfect dog, Jenna. Got her from the pound, and she's smart and obedient and loyal and perfect.

2 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Amy Abbott said...

I have a good sleeping book, but it is a baby sleep book...sorry! I don't know anything about dogs, and I doubt I ever will. Todd did purchase a fish tank/aquarium this weekend. Now, who do you suppose is going to be feeding those fish? HMMMMMM!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Nate L said...

I really have enjoyed reading your blog. The stories are so interesting. Emma sure is cute...but sounds like she is much more work than Eli was when he was a little one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home