Mel's Heart

My thoughts about God, living for Him, being a writer, wife, mom, and child of God

Monday, September 18, 2006

Moses again

I've written about Moses before, but I just have to do it again as I revisted this Scripture and was just so moved.

Deuteronomy 32: 2, 3
The Song of Moses
“’Let my teaching drop as the rain,
My speech distill as dew,
As the droplets on the fresh grass
And as the showers on the herb,
For I proclaim the name of the Lord’
Ascribe greatness to our God!
The Rock! His work is perfect,
For all His ways are just;
A God of faithfulness and without injustice,
Righteous and upright is He.'”

The story of Moses is one I can relate to. Now you might have an image of Moses as some ancient man, wandering around the wilderness. How could this man be someone we can relate to?

Here’s the real story of Moses.
He was a man raised in the home of Egyptian royalty, never really fitting in because that was not his true identity. Then he discovers who he is, leaves the comfort of his Egyptian lifestyle to live with his people, the Hebrews. You have to remember that he probably didn’t even know their language. They were oppressed, slaves.
But that’s who Moses chose to be with.

And then he’s a shepherd, just an ordinary guy doing his job when the Lord speaks to Him in a burning bush.
Moses tries so hard to remind God that he is not qualified, just not qualified. He tells God his insecurities, just to make sure God knows, as if to look in God’s eyes and say are you sure Lord? Are you sure you remember how insecure I am?
God assures him. Yes, you’re the one and all I want is your willing heart. I got it from there. You say yes and just watch and see what I will do.


And then Deuteronomy 34 is a chapter which just makes me weep. Moses is about to die, but before that happens, God has something to show Moses. The Lord and Moses are standing on the top of Pisgah and the Lord shows Moses the promised land.
And the Lord says to moses, there it is but you will not go there.

Now in my simple heart I always have a hard time with Moses not being allowed to go into the promised land. One act of disobedience disqualified him. Number 20:12
But you know what. I think Moses was so completely satisified in something else. When he was younger I’m sure all he could think of was living in the Promised Land. Got to get there! And he was faithful…

But somewhere along the way, I believe Moses’ perspective began to change. He began to realize that the journey, this intimate walk with God was all that He needed. Moses spoke to God face to face (ex 33:11 Numbers 12:8)

This man Moses, who doubted himself so much, moved from an unexpected place to a sure place. In fact he found the surest place, the heart of God.

I want to be like Moses, so content to walk intimately with God, so content in the surest place of God's love.

1 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger JennyRain said...

this is one of my favorite scripts... let my teaching fall like rain :) Thanks for this post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home