Mel's Heart

My thoughts about God, living for Him, being a writer, wife, mom, and child of God

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Rainy Days

Today was a much-needed rainy day. Thank you, Lord. Days like this are what I have always thought of when I've thought of North Carolina. Growing up in south Florida, it was just hot. And hotter. No seasons. It certainly is beautiful there, and I'm so glad my parents still live there but there's a certain kind of beauty that is so unique to North Carolina.

I remember driving to Maggie Valley, North Carolina for our summer vacations and just marveling at the wild flowers growing along the highways. I remember loving hiking in cool mornings and nighttimes, wading in crisp mountain streams, finding treasures like mica in the rocks, picking flowers that didn't grown in florida. I think all those summer vacations just knitted my heart to North Carolina.

So when we got a chance to move to Charlotte almost seven years ago it just felt like home.

I've always loved rainy days. I don't miss florida's constant hot weather but there is one thing i miss about the weather there: many summer afternoons would bring rain, filled with lightning and thunder. It usually didn't last long, just long enough to come in from the beach for a little bit. So I really miss storms. that might sound weird but i do.

Rainy days invite us to slow down, stop moving, curl up with a book, a puzzle or a board game. We have a new favorite game, by the way, introduced to us by the Blairs, called Rummikub. It's addicting!

I'm trying to take some time to slow down and just curl up with my thoughts, my Bible, and the Lord and just spend some time meditating on His goodness.
Psalm 34:8 O taste and see that the Lord is good

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home